District of Squamish
DESIGN / CONSTRUCTION
2017 – Ongoing
The District of Squamish (the District) has engaged M’akola Development Services (MDS) to developing a long-term Affordable Housing Program and associated policies for the District that compliment and sustainably manage existing and new affordable housing stock.
The vision for the Affordable Housing Program involves three key components:
- Understand and Identify housing needs and gaps specific to the District through the development of a Housing Needs Assessment
- Develop and Implement an Organizational model for Housing in the District (Squamish Housing Organization)
- Develop and implement policy direction to attract, promote and perpetually maintain housing affordability in the District
The comprehensive affordable housing program will help the District better serve the diverse needs of its community. The new Affordable Housing Program has been completed by MDS in two phases: the first phase involved engagement with staff and Council as well as project feasibility and framework development while the second phase involved the development of a Housing Needs Assessment, a Squamish Housing Organization and policy to support comprehensive and perpetual affordable housing in the District.
- Feasibility analysis
- Housing Needs Assessment
- Research and Gaps Identification
- Affordable housing policy development
- Asset management and planning
- Stakeholder and Council engagement