This award was created in recognition of Judy Bourne, an inspirational woman of Cree Ancestry. Judy was a devoted wife and mother of six children who was well known for her athletic and coaching abilities, particularly as a nationally and internationally recognized volleyball coach.
Judy taught for many years in a variety of subjects at various grade levels. From 1984-1989, she was the Executive Director of M’akola Housing Society, a society responsible for developing urban Indigenous housing on Vancouver Island. Under her guidance, the society became a model for housing projects across Canada. During her tenure she (along with well-known artist Roy Henry Vickers) was chosen by the Aboriginal Nations Education Department as a role model for her contribution to the Indigenous Communities of this area.
Annual award amount: $1,600 (six available)
Deadline: May 19, 2018
Application: View PDF
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2016 – 2017 Recipients:
- Juanita Cordova, Tsawout First Nation, Mt. Douglas Secondary School
- Darien Masuskapoe, Ahtahkakoop 104, Reynolds Secondary School
- Mariyah Dunn-Jones, Pacheedaht First Nation, Edward Milne Community School
- Kourtney Brager, Metis, Ballenas Secondary School
- Scott Stoesz, Makwa Sahgaiehcan, Timberline Secondary
- Drew Harris, Wet’se’weten & Gitxsan, Hazelton Secondary