This award was created in recognition of Judy Bourne, an inspirational woman of Cree Ancestry. Judy was a devoted wife and mother of six children who was well known for her athletic and coaching abilities, particularly as a nationally and internationally recognized volleyball coach.
Judy taught for many years in a variety of subjects at various grade levels. From 1984-1989, she was the Executive Director of M’akola Housing Society, a society responsible for developing urban Indigenous housing on Vancouver Island. Under her guidance, the society became a model for housing projects across Canada. During her tenure she (along with well-known artist Roy Henry Vickers) was chosen by the Aboriginal Nations Education Department as a role model for her contribution to the Indigenous Communities of this area.
Annual award amount: $1,600 (six available)
Deadline: May 13th
Application: View PDF application
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2019 RECIPIENTS:
- Cameron Christison, Beaver First Nation, Highland Secondary School
- Christien Harris, Squamish Nation, Dover Bay Secondary
- Destiny Hanson, Ehattesaht Nation, Lambrick Park Secondary School
- Rayn Cook-Thomas, Songhees Nation, Victoria High School
- Rochelle Helstrom, Cree Nation, Carihi Secondary School