This award was created in recognition of Judy Bourne, an inspirational woman of Cree Ancestry. Judy was a devoted wife and mother of six children who was well known for her athletic and coaching abilities, particularly as a nationally and internationally recognized volleyball coach.
Judy taught for many years in a variety of subjects at various grade levels. From 1984-1989, she was the Executive Director of M’akola Housing Society, a society responsible for developing urban Indigenous housing on Vancouver Island. Under her guidance, the society became a model for housing projects across Canada. During her tenure she (along with well-known artist Roy Henry Vickers) was chosen by the Aboriginal Nations Education Department as a role model for her contribution to the Indigenous Communities of this area.
Annual award amount: $1,600 (six available)
Deadline: May 19, 2018
Application: View PDF application
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2018 RECIPIENTS:
- Benjamin Mulchinok, Metis Nation, Lambrick Park High School
- Katherine Strom Trudel, Cherokee/Cree, Victoria High School
- Cohen Inglis, Cherokee, John Barsby Community School
- Ava Rose Duff, Cape Mudge, Carihi Secondary
- Tanika Simms, Gitanmaax Band-Frog (Laxseel) Clan-Gitxsan, Hazelton Secondary School
- Brooklyn Sophia Pala, Metis Nation, Royal Bay Secondary School