Community Mental Health Association
DESIGN / CONSTRUCTION
2017 – Ongoing
CULTURAL & COMMUNITY IMPACT
- 18 tenants from Newbridge will be relocated to Darwin Phase 1, meaning tenants will not have to be displaced
- Affordable housing units will target limited and middle-income households
POINTS OF INTEREST
- Programmable space will be located on the main floor
- Targeting step code 4 and co-investment energy requirements, including greenhouse gas reduction
M’akola Development Services (MDS) is the development consultant for Island Community Mental Health Association (ICMH) for their projects in the Nigel Valley Master Plan redevelopment. MDS has procured the project design teams, successfully secured Project Development Funding, created a tenant relocation plan, and is currently working with consultants and the municipality to obtain necessary permits and approvals.
This multi-phased project has involved collaboration among funding partners, Nigel Valley non-profit housing operators, the municipal government, and design consultants. The masterplan for the Nigel Valley sets out the redevelopment of the blocks adjacent to Saanich District Hall. The vision for the redevelopment includes integrating affordable housing into a more walkable, equitable, and sustainable community.
The redevelopment involves five partners, with BC Housing as the lead funder and co-ordinator. CMHC co-investment funding will support a portion of the Nigel Valley redevelopment. Phase one of the Darwin Apartments will provide approximately 50 units over six storeys for clients of ICMH. The building will feature underground parking, ample amenity space, and will accommodate a range of incomes with affordable rental rates.
- Design Team Procurement
- Project Development Funding (BC Housing)
- Tenant Relocation Plan
- Pre-Development Work; Development Permit