This award was created in recognition of Judy Bourne, an inspirational woman of Cree Ancestry. Judy was a devoted wife and mother of six children who was well known for her athletic and coaching abilities, particularly as a nationally and internationally recognized volleyball coach.
Judy taught for many years in a variety of subjects at various grade levels. From 1984-1989, she was the Executive Director of M’akola Housing Society, a society responsible for developing urban Indigenous housing on Vancouver Island. Under her guidance, the society became a model for housing projects across Canada. During her tenure she (along with well-known artist Roy Henry Vickers) was chosen by the Aboriginal Nations Education Department as a role model for her contribution to the Indigenous Communities of this area.
Annual award amount: $1,600 (six available)
Deadline: May 13th
Application: View PDF application
Congratulations to the 2021 recipients:
- Angelina Sam, Songhees Nation – Esquimalt High School
- Brendan Olson, Metis – Belmont Secondary School
- Calin Barber, Red River Cree Metis – Victoria High School
- Jamieson Coukell (Jamie), Gitxan – Ballenas Secondary School
- Mitchell Vowles, Metis – Edward Milne Community School
- Sereana Kaloucokovale, Ahousaht First Nation/Fiji – Maaqtusiis Secondary School